Here are some updates on IP developments in China from this past December 2017:
1. Xi Jinping: China must accelerate implementation of big data strategy (English) 习近平：实施国家大数据战略加快建设数字中国 (Chinese). Xi Jinping, during a collective study session of the Politburo on December 8th, has urged the country to accelerate implementation of its big data strategy to better serve social and economic development and improve people’s lives. Xi said efforts should be made to advance national big data strategy, improve digital infrastructure, promote integration and sharing of digital resources, and safeguard data security.
2. Legal Daily on December 5, 2017 notes that leakage of private data from government websites is getting attention, all local governments start rectification and protection mechanism 政府网站泄露隐私问题受关注，各地整改升级保护机制 (Chinese)
3. Ministry of Education, Department of Human Resources and Social Security, and Ministry of Finance regulated information disclosure of private information 教育部人社部财政部三部委规范信息公开 保隐私信息安全自查工作要不留死角(Chinese). This appears to be related to the developments described in the Legal Daily article described above. Note that unauthorized disclosure of confidential information of foreigners had been a concern during prior meetings of the bilateral Joint Commission on Commerce and Trade. Compare 2014 and 2016 U.S.-China Joint Commission on Commerce and Trade (JCCT). From 2014 JCTT: The United States and China confirm that trade secrets submitted to the government in administrative or regulatory proceedings are to be protected from improper disclosure to the public and only disclosed to government officials in connection with their official duties in accordance with law. Each side will further study how to optimize its respective relevant administrative and regulatory procedures within its legal system, where appropriate, including by strengthening confidentiality protection measures, limiting the scope of government personnel having access to trade secrets, limiting the information required from companies to include only information reasonably necessary for satisfying regulatory purposes, and stipulating that any requirements on government agencies to publicly disclose information appropriately allow for the withholding of trade secrets. Government officials who illegally disclose companies’ trade secrets are to be subject to administrative or legal liability according to law. The United States and China agree to exchange information on the scope of protection of trade secrets and confidential business information under their respective legal systems. China acknowledges that it is to conduct a legislative study of a revised law on trade secrets. The United States acknowledges that draft legislation proposing a Federal civil cause of action for trade secrets misappropriation has been introduced in the U.S. Congress. From 2016 JCCT: Both sides confirm that, in those cases in which a judicial or administrative enforcement authority requests the submission of confidential information in conjunction with a trade secret enforcement matter, such requests will be narrowly tailored to avoid putting at risk sensitive business information and will be subject to appropriate protective orders to control additional disclosure and ensure that information is not further misappropriated and that any decision that is made publicly available in conjunction with a trade secret enforcement matter will have all confidential information appropriately redacted. The United States and China confirm that trade secret investigations are conducted in a prudent and cautious manner.
4. Overview of China’s intellectual property protection: 32000 suspected criminal cases have been transferred since 2011. 中国知识产权保护状况全景式展示 2011年以来移送涉嫌犯罪案件3.2万起(Chinese). Note: This is data on referrals from administrative to criminal enforcement. The transfer from admin to criminal seems like part of overall efforts that China took to improve IP protection. The article mentioned that three agencies: National Copyright Administration, SAIC and SIPO, all enhanced IP protection enforcement. For instance, National Copyright Administration, through “Jian Wang” (Swordnet) project, investigated 5560 infringement cases over the past 13 years; SAIC investigated 19,400 trademark infringement cases from Jan to Oct 2017; and SIPO and other IP protection agencies investigated 189,000 all kinds of infringement and counterfeiting cases in 2016.Related background information: State Council Opinion on Improving Administrative/Criminal IPR Enforcement Coordination.
5. China Intellectual Property Development Alliance was established 中国知识产权发展联盟成立 (Chinese). The focus of this alliance is to create a good environment for IP application and protection and to build an ecosystem for IP operation.
6. Notice on establishing national intellectual property pilot parks. 关于确定国家知识产权试点园区的通知 (Chinese). 2017 new list of national intellectual property pilot parks 2017年新一批国家知识产权试点园区名单 (Chinese). These pilot parks are established by local governments. They will provide IP services, information sharing services, help incubate IP intensive industries, and provide supporting infrastructure. SIPO approves them, and will monitor pilot parks’ work progress and review document for renewal.
7. The story behind of independent development of C919 (English); C919背后的自主研制之路 (Chinese). The Chinese article describes the patents involved in the C919 aircraft project.
8. China implemented the first national military standards of intellectual property management in the field of equipment construction 我国首部装备建设领域知识产权管理国家军用标准实施 (Chinese).
9. China’s R&D investment hits a new high. 我国研发投入再创新高 (Chinese). China’s total GDP in 2016 was $11 trillion and R&D investment is around $230 billion, which is about 2.15% of GDP. For US, R&D investment is estimated to be around 2.8% of GDP in 2016.
10. China’s invention patent applications exceed one million from Jan. to Oct. (English); 前10个月发明专利申请量超百万件 (Chinese).
11.WIPO Stats on Patent Application Filings Shows China Continuing to Lead the World (English); China Tops Patent, Trademark, Design Filings in 2016 (English).
12, “China Big Data Rule of Law Development Report 2017” released. 《中国大数据法治发展报告（2017）》发布 (Chinese). Related: Presentation on 2017 China Big Data Rule of Law Development Report 2017中国大数据法治发展报告（实录与PPT）(Chinese)
13. China to boost competitiveness in AI (English) 产业三年行动计划提出在八大领域率先取得突破——人工智能服务渐入千家万户(Chinese). The Ministry of Industry and Information Technology (MIIT) recently released an action plan to substantially improve the development of the AI industry. This plan set to make breakthroughs in eight areas, including smart cars, service robot, drone, AI medical diagnosis, facial recognition, voice recognition, smart translation and smart home product. The MIIT promised more policy support, including special funds, talent cultivation and a better business environment. Measures will also be rolled out to build industry clusters, set up key laboratories and encourage data sharing.
14. Encourage indigenous innovation and build strong brands. 鼓励自主创新 聚力品牌经济 (Chinese). The China Council for Brand Development is working with the National Development and Reform Commission to formulate “China’s Brand Development Strategy.” This program aims to cultivate 1000 well-known international brands in five years.
15. More than 2000 clues have been received for the “Suyuan” campaign against trademark infringement. 打击商标侵权“溯源”行动已收到2000余条案件线索 (Chinese) SAIC started a campaign called “Suyuan” against trademark infringement in September 2017. Until the end of November, more than 2000 clues on cases have been reported.
16. Shenzhen IP court and Shenzhen Finance court were established 深圳知识产权法庭和深圳金融法庭同时揭牌办公 (Chinese). A new Shenzhen IP court was opened on December 26, 2017. This court will handle intellectual property cases which were under the jurisdiction of the Shenzhen Intermediate People’s Court.
17,. Wang Jinshan was appointed as the Chief Judge of Beijing IP Court. 王金山被任命为为北京知识产权法院院长 (Chinese). Wang replaces Chief Judge Su Chi, who has guided the court since it was first launched and implemented numerous reform projects. We wish him well. Judge Wang graduated from Peking University with a major in Law. He was the party secretary of Beijing IP Court since May 2017. Judge Wang also previously worked at Beijing Intermediate People’s Court.
18. China’s software copyright registration exceeds 700,000 in 2017. 2017年我国软件著作权登记量突破70万件 http://www.nipso.cn/onews.asp?id=39313 (Chinese).
We hope to be providing more updates in the year ahead from the Berkeley Center for Law and Technology.
As usual the information contained herein does not necessarily represent the opinion of any government agency, company, individual or the University of California.
By Berkeley staff.